Thats true but I dont remember Allen being a star for the chiefs either [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
true but Allen and Al Davis were on the outs. Allen was going to be benched for any reason. Once in the dog house with Davis it is "all over with"
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Thats true but I dont remember Allen being a star for the chiefs either [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
How can you say TJ isn't on the level with Neil Anderson? I mean even if you want to say good things about Anderson, he had what, 3 good years?
Just reading on a Bears page, and this was the beginning of Thomas' information
Hard-working veteran ball carrier has produced the best 2 seasons of his NFL career during his 2 years with Chicago... Since joining Bears in 2004, has rushed for 2,288 yards - the best consecutive seasons by a Bears RB since Neal Anderson gained 2,333 yards from 1989-90... Ranked 9th in the NFL in rushing in 2005 with a career-high 1,335 yards to become the only Bears RB other than Walter Payton to eclipse the 1,300-yard plateau... Recorded 9th-best single-season rushing total in franchise history while establishing a career-high in rushing yards for the fifth-straight season... Averaged 1,427 yards from scrimmage over last 2 seasons which is 36.0-percent of Chicago offense, the 2nd-highest rate in the NFL during that time (Tiki Barber, NYG, 42.7%).
They key parts of that to me at least are career high the last 5 years, which means not a running back on decline, if anything one who has been getting better and the second highest % of offense. Pretty lofty stats from me, and yes there is a SWVA bias but there is also a 'I hate PV bias because they kept us from having some good runs multiple times bias'
I'll fully agree that there was the issue that the Bears didn't know what they were getting, and thats understandable.
I also understand the cap hit and such but while you accuse people on here of having a 'SWVA' bias, its almost like you have an 'anti-SWVA' bias that he couldn't possibly be as good as someone who was from Texas or anything.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
A lot of folks didn't think Emmitt Smith was anything special, either. As the reigning career rushing champion, three time Super Bowl winner and Super Bowl MVP, I think he proved his critics wrong about a lot of things. Put Thomas behind the lines like Emmitt had, and I think even an NFL expert like you would have to whistle under his breath at the production Thomas would have.
I, for one, think anyone with the talent and drive to make an NFL roster is pretty special and deserving of respect. For someone to actually excel and help his team go to the Super Bowl deserves more than that - admiration. The vibes I get from you are that Thomas is just so-so, therefore he should get no respect.
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on."
Tell me 1 thing Herschel Walker ever accomplished in the NFL...even when he was with the Cowboys that 90 % of all other starting NFL running backs don't do. In college he was awesome. In the USFL he was all the New Jersey Generals had. In the NFL he was OK.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
In my opinion Bo is the best I've ever saw...even if it was just for 4-5 seasons. No one touches him. And, when Bo arrived in Los Angeles Al Davis and Marcus Allen weren't at one another's throats. After Marcus lost 2/3 of his playing time the feud began. But, if I were coaching the Raiders I would have probably done the same thing or even better, found a way to put them both in the same backfield.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
Bo was probably the greatest athlete I ever seen. Don't think I'd call him the greatest back, because most of his numbers were based on pure athletic ability, something that tends to limit career longevity.
Randall Cunningham, for a year or two, was an awesome weapon/quarterback but he was never a great quarterback. Bo was, IMO, definitely closer to being great, but I have a hard time giving greatness for limited time. By the numbers in a per season deal, Terrell Davis is one of the best running backs ever, but due to longevity, he will never be viewed as such.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
stats for Hershel Walker.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/WalkHe00.htm
As you can see when he was with the Cowboys (and remember, those cowboy's teams were not the great Cowboy teams) he was one of the top backs in the NFL. Once he was traded to the Viking's they didn't use him. His total yards from scrimmage were strong and he lead the league in 87. Look at his receiving yards with the Vikings. They didn't use him. almost always averaged over 4.0 yds per carry and ended his career with a 4.2 average per carry.
some stats for the greatest of backs:
Jim Brown - 5.2 yards per carry
Walter Payton - 4.4
Emmitt Smith - 4.2
Barry Sanders - 5.0
Earl Campbel - 4.3
Tony Dorsett - 4.3
O.J. - 4.7
Eric Dickerson - 4.4
I'm not saying that Hershel is in a league with those guys because he isn't . I'm just saying he wasn't so much a bust as he wasn't used like he should have been and was "wasted" as an NFL back during his prime.
in 1988 he had 1,500 rushing and 500 receiving
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Good points. A lot of difference between being an average back and a great back is timing and luck. Hershel behind the great Cowboys lines of the mid nineties would have been awesome. The Boys didn't have too much the years Hershel was there, so the best thing he did as a Cowboy was be trade-bait. The Cowboy's Superbowl teams of the nineties had several talented players gained through the Walker trade that were instrumental in winning those championships. Put TJ on a team like that, and you would see a big upswing in his numbers also.
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on."
[ QUOTE ]
How can you say TJ isn't on the level with Neil Anderson? I mean even if you want to say good things about Anderson, he had what, 3 good years?
[/ QUOTE ]
Anderson was a probowler for one, but Anderson's career had alot of adversity that TJ's never had. Anderson was a star in his prime then he had to deal with his father going to prison for murder. That pretty much destroyed Anderson's life and he never was the same after that. From all reports, Neil quit trying and put football to the backburner. 3 good years are still better than 2 good years. You can do the math there.
Theres no swva bias here however Im not the one that said TJ won an nfl rushing title, nor did I say Jham was a 1st day draft pick, and I be darned if I ever said Heath Miller was light years better than Kellen Winslow. We have some good nfl players around here, but compared to alot of other areas, its basically just average. If anyone deserves the praise its Jason Whitten, hes headed to the pro bowl. Although in the offseason, half the board accussed him of murder. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Where was all of the "you show bias" then?
Im not the GM of the bears, its not my fault that most fans support Benson over Jones, its not my fault Angelo drafted Benson 4th, its not my fault that John Gruden and 2-3 coaching staffs in Arizona started Michael Pittman over Jones. As long as the Bears win, I could care less who plays or who wins the game. Although, I do expect to come back after the game and see everyone bitching because A)ron turner threw the ball too much, b)benson got more carries than jones, or c)the line didnt block good for thomas.
Theres always excuses as to why he didnt succeed here or start there. I choose not to cover my eyes. Hopefully TJ finishes his career in chicago as the starter and wins multiple rushing titles, but dont be too surprised if he only plays for Chicago 1 more year. If that wasnt a reality, the media and the bears wouldnt have been talkng about it. Sorry Im realistic, but you cant deny those facts. I guess it will be my fault when Chicago trades TJ or doesnt resign him after next year.[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Bookmarks